Have a health conscience person on your Christmas list this year? Not to worry, there are some wonderful gifts you can purchase for your loved ones that range from inexpensive to pricey. Each one shows that you understand their commitment to their health and are happy to support it!
Here are some that I have given in the past and HIGHLY recommend:
- Resistance Bands: You can buy these bands in most fitness/sport stores but also in stores such as Walmart or Canadian tire. The bands can be used for in home strength training and provide an excellent workout if done correctly. You can buy a little book with exercise descriptions to go along with it, or search online for some good exercises and print a few pages off to create a customized booklet.
- Sarah Powers Yoga: I love my yoga, especially after a long, hard day. But I use yoga to relax and revitalize, whereas some use it as they’re primary workout. The Sarah Powers DVD (http://www.sarahpowers.com/) gives you two easy and two hard yoga workouts that focus on functional fitness and mind-body wellness. She is amazing, and I highly recommend her DVD to people of all fitness levels.
- Nordic Walking Poles: Nordic poles are a great way to increase the intensity of your regular walk. If you know someone who is trying to lose weight, has diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure or is at a high risk for any of these conditions, a pair of Nordic Poles could really change their life. The poles incorporate upper body muscles and when done properly, Nordic pole walking can increase the number of calories burned during a walk and increase your aerobic fitness levels quite dramatically! Here is a website for an inexpensive but high quality pair of poles: www.nordixx.com
- Lifestyle and Fitness Consultation: If you know someone who needs to start exercising but is at a loss of where and how to begin, consider purchasing them a couple of sessions with a qualified exercise professional such as myself. Sessions can involve fitness assessments, lifestyle consultations and one-on-one exercise sessions. Be sure to look for someone with the right certifications and qualifications for the job! (Certified Personal Trainer or Certified Exercise Physiologist in Canada).
- Gym Membership: Depending on your budget, purchase a gym membership for a loved one for a few months or the whole year. This is particularly a great idea if you are already a member at the gym so that two of you can provide each other with the support and motivation required to maintain a healthy active lifestyle forever!